Lawrence Technological University
College of Arts and Science
Department of Mathematics and Computer Sciences
Emacs setup for an LTU Laptop
As of August, 2004 the current stable version of Emacs is 21.3
and the newer "aspell" spell-checker is a little easier to use
than the venerable ispell. Some directions
- Go to GNU.org and
look in the "windows" subdirectory to download
emacs-21.3-fullbin-i386.tar.gz (18,732 Kb)
and extract it to c:\ with WinZip.
- As in README.W32, you will want to run the program addpm.exe
in the bin subdirectory in order to make a shortcut to
- Go to http://aspell.net/win32 and download and
run Aspell-0-50-3-3-Setup.exe. Try installing it in
c:\emacs-21.3. Avoid installing it in c:\Program Files\.
If you put the Aspell folder in c:\emacs-21.3, you would
then add c:\emacs-21.3\Aspell\bin to your PATH environment
- Use the Start Menu entry for "Download dictionaries" under Aspell
and then go up one level to download and run
- Finally, tell Emacs to use aspell instead of ispell. Use the
Start Menu to start Emacs. Use Ctrl-x, Ctrl-f to find
and load the /.emacs file. Use Esc, > to go to the end
of this file and then add the line
(setq-default ispell-program-name "aspell")
Save the file (Ctrl-x, Ctrl-s) and then exit Emacs (Ctrl-x,
- Restart Emacs and just type something in the "Scratch Buffer"
and then use Esc, $ to see your options.
Revised August 22, 2004